A productive few hours outside today. I really must invest in some sort of waterproof something as there’s not much glamour in sitting on a spread out bin bag or folded cardboard box in the middle of the yard while I try not to get too wet and the neighbour’s cat is constantly trying to sit on my lap. She doesn’t seem to understand one tends to use both hands when potting up plants.
I received my tulips, daffodils and crocus this week, so that is what I have planted. When growing bulbs in pots it’s worth researching the time of year each type appears as that will in turn help you when doing the “lasagna”. Essentially, crocus come up the earliest, followed by daffodils, then tulips. So, you pop in the bulbs that will appear the latest first. i.e. layer of grit, then some compost, then tulip bulbs, some more compost, then daffodil bulbs, more compost, crocus, more compost. At the top, people normally plant annuals in flower such as pansies or violas. I fell short this time around as I thought I might find some in the Artisan Market yesterday, but unfortunately there were no annuals that I could see.
I only put some narcissus and crocus in this shallow pot. Trying to keep to the white and blue theme of the violas, I put some Minnou narcissus and some Blue Pearl crocus. I packed in the violas, and hopefully they will now grow better as they were starting to look rather water logged in their tray.
This pot is much deeper, so I could stack more bulbs. Here I put some purple Recreado and pink Bruinel Wimper tulips, some W.P. Milner narcissus and some Cream Beauty crocus. Again, in trying to keep with the purple and yellow theme. Mainly, I wanted to remember what individual bulbs I was using, so I made a note of the colour of each variety and tried to keep some sort of order that way. Not a massive display of violas but, as I said above, I am hoping from now on they will put on a better display! I can always buy a tray elsewhere in the next week or two.
This pot is a bit more… improvised. As I had run out of annuals, and I didn’t want to leave the soil bare, I am going to experiment with this. I took some cuttings from thyme and sage earlier this summer and they have been hardening off in their small pots since then. I hope the tulips will grow around them and then, in spring, when I would dig the bulbs out anyway, I can then decide if I want to keep the herbs there or not. First, as always, some gravel and compost, then my last set of tulips, Belle Epoque; I think they will be my favourite. I added a layer of compost and put my last set of crocus, Snow Bunting. Finish with a last layer of compost and water.
I still had some narcissus that I had not planted, so I cleared the bottom of the small bed we have and I planted them at the front of the border; Segovia. I think I will be able to utilise that area later in the year as it looks like a woodlandy site with the buddleia creeping over like that. I have also discovered the way the cats come into our back yard… (Note: see the wonky fence… there’s a gap… tut tut)
So far this is what we have. Some pots here and there to bring some green over the winter months.